This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Friday, January 6, 2012

APPROPRIATE PARDONS PERHAPS

"New rules, fewer pardons" is the headline of the story in Wednesday's (Jan.4/12) K-W Record. This story raises a number of questions for me, the first being why didn't the writer tell us the real reason for these federal legislative changes to the parole system? This story written by Jim Bronskill claims that the legislation was changed last year by toughening the requirements and increasing the waiting times. These two changes I have no problem with. The third change is an increase in cost to the applicant from $150 to $631. This cost increase is too much and the claim by the government that citizens shouldn't have to subsidize applicants is spurious. Citizens are already "subsidizing" staff costs in all departments and programs through the tax system. As far as the reason for these changes, although long overdue, the reality is that it was a convicted, notorious pedophile (Graham James?) easily and quickly obtaining a pardon that brought this nonsense to light. Another question I have is the claim in this story that ten percent of Canadians have a criminal conviction. This would be over 3 million Canadians??? If this claim is accurate then something is seriously out of whack with our Criminal Justice System . Speeding tickets are provincial offenses not criminal ones. Simple trespass is also a provincial offense only. Perhaps marijuana possession adds dramatically to the total numbers of criminal convictions? All this being said I will admit that I personally escaped a criminal conviction here in Waterloo Region by the skin of my teeth. During a serious dispute with the Waterloo Region District School Board, they attempted unsucessfully to deny me access to my son's public school. At one point in order to avoid trouble I phoned the Police detachment in Elmira for permission to pick up my son after school, as his Mother was unavailable. This request was verbally permitted but when I showed up at the school the Regional Police were waiting, charged me with Trespass and arrested me. They held me in custody overnight and woke me up in the middle of the night to advise me that the charges had been upgraded to Obstruct Police. This utter and complete bullshit blew up in their faces when my lawyer (Wayne Rabley) presented my recording of the conversation to the Crown. Hence at that time I did become aware that Police have no compunction against laying frivolous or politically motivated criminal charges. Still 10% is an astounding and shameful number and I submit the shame belongs to the Justice System not to those convicted for standing up for their rights as human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment