This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

TWO CLASSES OF JUSTICE?



Today's Waterloo Region (K-W) Record has a very large and very disturbing story. The title is "OPP officer charged in buggy collision". The title of this posting might also be Two Classes of Citizens. Our Mennonite neighbours both here in Waterloo Region and in Mount Forest where the crash took place are known for their forgiveness. That however should not excuse the Justice System from doing its' duty. An off duty OPP officer drove into the back of a horse and buggy at high speed in a 50 km zone on a clear day. Nowhere in this article is mentioned whether a breathalizer test was administered. Neither I nor anyone else at this point in time knows whether one should have been. This officer was given a break in the choice of charges laid. Instead of Dangerous Driving, he was charged with Careless Driving. Eventually! It took three months , Editorials in the local paper and an anonymous letter to politicians and the media before any charges were laid. All during this time the OPP officer was not identified by the Police or Crown although locals all knew who had been driving.

While I have no difficulty believing that all segments of our society are not treated equally, nevertheless I find this story very odd. One of the less desireable tenets of our Justice System is their insistence on being treated always with respect. Any lack of respect in the courtroom quickly leads to Contempt charges. Also the Judicial System usually insists upon Justice being seen to be done. This again goes back to their own penchant for always having to be treated with respect if not reverence. To my eye it's almost as if secretly they fear being ridiculed and laughed at. That is why I find this story so unusual. Justice has not remotely been seen to be done so far. IF and I say if this Officer has been given special treatment it surely is going to bite our Judicial System in the butt and someone is going to have to pay for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment