This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

NO NEED FOR AN INQUIRY INTO CANCELLED GAS PLANTS



Hmm. The above title is the opinion of Martin Regg Cohn as expressed in today's Waterloo Region Record. Mr. Cohn while not remotely defending the plant cancellations nevertheless feels that all the facts can and will come out appropriately via the Ontario legislature. He states "The Liberal government blundered by spending big money on two stillborn power plants.". Mr. Cohn's opinion appears to be based upon the facts that a minority government has fewer oppotunities to shut down or stifle various legislative committees which are currently examining and researching the gas plant closures. Whether the Liberal government was merely responding to NIMBYism from Oakville and Mississauga residents versus an actual Liberal seat saver program is going to be difficult to prove. Also as an environmentalist I'm not going to take at face value the claims of NIMBYism. I have often seen that barb used when there are indeed substantive health, safety and environmental issues involved. Finally again I'm not an expert on political processes and procedures. Mr. McGuinty managed to stifle those very same legislative committees for many months by peroguing the legislature. Are there any other tricks that could still be pulled out of the hat to stymy public transparency?

No comments:

Post a Comment