This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Friday, April 7, 2017

MORE ON POLICE OVERSIGHT REVIEW




Last Monday here in the Advocate I posted about the Review recently completed into the three police oversight agencies in Ontario. I expressed some skepticism regarding the efficacy or real intent behind the review. That said today's Waterloo region record has an interesting story regarding one of the recommendations in the police oversight review. The title of today's story is "Call inquests whenever police kill someone through use of force: review".

The Special Investigations Unit has been criticized in the past for hiring ex-police officers as SIU investigators. Also they have been criticized for their penchant for secrecy. They do not report publicly into their investigations of police officers who have been involved in killings, serious injuries and or been the subject of sexual assaults.

This article lists many serious failings and weaknesses in the current system and begs the question why it has taken so long just to get to the discussion stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment