This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Monday, May 14, 2012

HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES BY AUTHORITIES



On May 9/12 the Waterloo Region Record carried this story "Inmates captive to rights abuses". The sub title was "Ashley Smith case could happen again, new U of T report finds." "The fact is there are still women imprisoned who are subject to long periods of segregation and uses of force despite their mental-health status" . Other inmates in similar situations as Ashley Smith were described "...sat down with K.J. who has spent the last 14 years in prison on what was originally a six year sentence.".. "it's not uncommon for the sentences of mentally-ill inmates to balloon in custody because of additional institutional charges often brought on by disruptive behaviour.". Kim Pate of the Elizabeth Fry Society suggests Canada "...needs more mental-health units in hospitals rather than prisons attempting to provide mental-health services".

No comments:

Post a Comment