This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Monday, February 17, 2014

FEDS GET OFF THE FINANCIAL POT WHILE LAC-MEGANTIC SUIT EXPANDS



The Waterloo Region Record has two recent stories regarding last summer's horrific railroad explosion in Lac-Megantic. The first (Feb. 12/14) is titled "Ottawa lifting financial cap on Lac-Megantic cleanup" and the second from last Friday is titled "Lac-Megantic victims suing Ottawa". What I find so interesting in the second story is the late in the day information that the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) has the worst safety record in North America. Of course this wasn't news to Transport Canada who did not sufficently sanction them for repeated violations including train drivers failing to apply a sufficient number of brakes. Ottawa's Transportation Safety Board found the MMA had been involved in 129 accidents in Canada since 2003. I guess as with many manmade disasters the surprise wasn't the disaster itself so much as the length of time it took to occur. It sure makes me realize that money talks, government protects it and the rest of us are mere cannon fodder.

No comments:

Post a Comment