This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

SENATE REFORM ISSUES ARE POLITICAL NOT CONSTITUTIONAL



The Waterloo Region Record on February 3/14 published this article by Geoffrey Stevens namely "Senate reform now in Harper's hands". Mr. Stevens understands that the prime Minister requires "...most or all of the provinces to come on side.". As that is highly unlikely than lesser goals relating to Senate reform should be considered. Those goals would be choosing Senators who are distinguished Canadians rather than party loyalists. A non political body is required for the selection of same. All of this will require the Conservative Prime Minister's support which Mr. Stevens is skeptical of. Indeed he states "Deep down, the Conservatives want to keep the senate just the way it is- as a cesspool of party patronage."

No comments:

Post a Comment