This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Monday, February 9, 2015

WHY SO MANY IN CAMERA MUNICIPAL MEETINGS?



I was quite surprised once I started looking into closed session (in camera) meetings of Woolwich Council at the north end of the Region of Waterloo. At an estimate I would say that close to three out of four Woolwich Council meetings start with a closed session of an hour or so. A rationale is given wherein they quote various sections of the Municipal Act but it is really as clear as mud as to whether these in camera meetings are appropriate or not. Therefore I have filed a formal complaint to the Ontario Ombudsman regarding this and a few other concerns I have with how the township operates. I have also asked for data regarding committees of council and how often they hold in camera meetings. We have been advised that all committees of council are to hold public meetings versus private ones. Generally that is very appropriate however there have been some private ones and to date I've seen absolutely zero rationale for those. Recent legislation plus further in process legislation have greatly expanded the Ombudsman's role. This is all to the good as to date municipal councils have been abusing both their authority and the Municipal Act essentially at will.

No comments:

Post a Comment