This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Monday, May 6, 2013

FEDERAL JUSTICE DEPARTMENT RELEASES SURVEY RESULTS



Today's Waterloo Region Record carrys this story "Justice Canada releases damning report". The article is specifically in regards to sexual assault victims and consists of 207 people across Canada being interviewed as to whether they had "...confidence in the police, the courts or the criminal justice system...". Apparently the majority had little or no confidence in the system from start to finish. This is a very bad situation in that our court system likes to suggest that justice must be done and it must be seen to be done.

My first thought is that this survey certainly speaks loudly in regards to sexual assault cases. I'm wondering if the results would be the same with victims of different crimes or better or worse. While I personally have little confidence in our judicial system overall nevertheless I can see difficulties involved with prosecuting sexual assault cases without witnesses, injuries or corroborating evidence.

There are a number of recommendations considered including more thorough investigations, sensitivity training for police and faster processing of complaints. This article is especially thought provokong in light of the recent suicide of a young victim whose alleged attackers had not been charged by police. It is my understanding that further investigation is now underway. This case certainly screams out as one that desperately needed further investigation sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment