This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

TORIES, CONSCIENCE AND ETHICS DO GO TOGETHER



The above headline may surprise a few folks. Here in the Advocate I've given my fair share of criticism to our federal Conservative government on issues ranging from Canadian civil liberties, muzzling of scientists and personal attack ads on politicians. That being said I do know personally a few Conservatives and while I disgree with their politics, I am confident that they are sincere, well meaning people.

Well today's Waterloo Region Record backs that up. Apparently there are even numerous Conservative backbenchers who also don't agree with attack ads whether on television or in flyers. The article in today's Record is titled "More Tory MPs say no to attacks on Trudeau". I am impressed with the ethics of these Tory backbenchers in not participating in the distribution of personal attacks on Trudeau via flyers in their own constituencies. I also am impressed with the number of "...Conservative MPs asserting their autonomy from the party brass.". Recently in Ottawa a number of Conservative MPs have been pushing for greater freedom of speech for backbenchers.

Last but not least I could not help but notice the very last sentence in this story namely "Rathgeber, one of the most outspoken MPs, says he has resisted attempts by staff at the Prime Minister's Office to vet the content of his personal blog.". Wow! This has a personal significance for me. I have another Blog which is focused on environmental issues in Woolwich Township (just north of Kitchener-Waterloo, Ont.). Recently I've been advised that as by far the most knowledgable independent citizen in Woolwich Township in regards to Chemtura (Uniroyal) and the cleanup of the drinking water aquifers; that I will not be appointed by Woolwich Council to the volunteer citizens advisory committee (CPAC) because they don't like my other Blog (Elmira Advocate). Apparently on occasion I've been known to disagree with decisions the local council has made regarding gravel pits, bio-fuel plants etc.. To clarify this opposition to and wish to vet/censor/remove my Blog I should be more specific. It is the mayor and most probably CAO of the Township who are leading this blocking of my attempts to become a CPAC member. Apparently small minds think alike whether at the federal or municipal level.

No comments:

Post a Comment