This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

LIFE SENTENCES FOR CHILDREN- NOW I KNOW AMERICANS ARE NUTS



Today's Waterloo Region Record carrys this story "Life sentences should not apply to children". I just about fell over when I read that headline. What kind of civilized society would sentence a child to life imprisonment for even the worst criminal behaviour? Well according to the Record article, American society does it fairly regularily. Furthermore despite a Supreme Court ruling against life imprisonment without chance of parole, several states have actively stickhandled around the intent of that ruling.

A couple of examples of horrific abuses of children were highlighted including the Dozier home for boys in Florida. The home finally closed in 2011 after decades of abuse and violence by the authorities upon the young residents. Many of these residents crimes consisted of trespassing, stealing cars and running away from home. Apparently the United States lack the idea of juveniles and minors that we have in Canada. True the pendulum can swing too far in both directions but surely the U.S. model is one to be avoided at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment