This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Thursday, July 11, 2013

COURT DECISIONS ARE A TOSS OF THE DICE



Today's Waterloo Region Record carrys this story by Allison Auld "RCMP did all it could, watchdog says". The focus of the story deals with whether or not the RCMP in Nova Scotia responded properly to a woman who claimed her her husband had been abusing her. Then in desperation when they allegedly hadn't been protecting her, she attempted to have her husband murdered. Now the story seems to suggest that the RCMP did do the best they could.

For me there's another whole story here and that is the courts involved in her trial for counselling to commit murder. In 2010 the trial judge found her under duress due to abuse and acquitted her. He also suggested she was not receiving appropriate help from the police. That ruling was later upheld by Nova Scotias's Court of Appeal. Finally the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that the entire duress defence was bogus and should not have been used much less accepted by the two lower courts. All this leads me to ask what the hell kind of courts do we have in this country. Apparently the woman's husband is asking the same question as he is calling for an inquiry into how the courts handled the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment