This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Friday, January 10, 2014

I GUESS IT'S A WIN SORT OF FOR THE WATERLOO REGIONAL POLICE



Things have been pretty tough for the Waterloo Regional Police Service the last few years. Allegations of police misconduct, misbehaviour and even criminal activity have tarnished them. Yesterday they had a victory, sort of. A Regional police office charged with sexual assault and suspended a year and a half ago has been found not guilty at trial. The newspaper story titled "Officer acquitted of sexual assault" seemed to focus on the alleged credibility of the accuser versus that of the defendant. Apparently the accuser waited for a month after the alleged rape before going to police and she also "communicated" frequently with the defendant during that time frame.

While it appears that there were no witnesses or physical evidence to back her story; nevertheless I wonder if there is supposed to be some sort of template by which rape victims are supposed to behave in order to bolster their in-court credibility. The benefit of the doubt should indeed go to the accused but was it necessary to publicly, in the newspaper, make allegations then against the alleged victim?

No comments:

Post a Comment