This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Monday, January 20, 2014

WATERLOO REGION POLICE SERVICE STILL IN THE NEGATIVE SPOTLIGHT



O.K. this isn't a new scandal/misbehaviour/criminal activity etc. It's been in the news before but the following headline in last Saturday's Waterloo Region Record sure doesn't help their image, namely: "Police officer to be fired". Again this is a case of a member being charged and disciplined via the Police Act. In fact Officer Markham was charged criminally with breach of trust. He pled guilty and was given a conditional discharge. "He also received a year of probation and 100 hours of community service work and no criminal record.".

Constable Markham shared a police report about an arrest and investigation with the common-law wife of the accused. "The arrested man had ties to organized crime, including the Hell's Angels, but there was no evidence to show that Markham was aware of those links.". The question for me is whether Constable Markham's behaviour was "insidious" as suggested by Pat Dietrich of the Waterloo Regional Police or was it simply a "mistake" as suggested by his lawyer. I'm passing on an opinion here regarding the firing of Constable Markham. A court of law has disciplined him for his behaviour but clearly the Regional Police don't think it's adequate.

No comments:

Post a Comment