This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Friday, March 28, 2014

UNPAID INTERNSHIPS



Today's Waterloo Region Record carrys this story "Unpaid internships under scrutiny". Apparently unpaid internships at two of the Country's best known magazines violate provincial labour laws. Wow who would have thunk that working for free was illegal. Who would have known that profitable leading companies in their field would take advantage of tight labour markets. Who would have thought that our Ministry of Labour would do anything about labour laws being violated?

Our Ministry of Labour, similar to our Ministry of Environment prefer to take on the little guys not the big ones. In the grand scheme of things I wonder exactly how big these two magazines really are. Walrus and Toronto life are crying foul because apparently they've had access to this free labour for years. Imagine that, from now on they have to pay at least minimum wage to have people work for them 35 hours per week. Maybe they can make up for it by charging interns $50 per cup of coffee to get their free labour back.

No comments:

Post a Comment