This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

RANKED BALLOT VOTING SYSTEM



Kitchener Council has joined the list of local municipalities who are more interested in getting themselves re-elected rather than the voters' preferences. The current system is called "first past the post" and gives a significant edge to name recognition. Ranked ballots on the other hand almost force voters to at least get to know a little about several candidates. Kitchener Councillors used the tried and true excuses such as it's too complicate, too involved and add costs to municipal elections. Councillor Sarah Marsh disagreed saying "I really think that we shouldn't be undersetimating the intelligence of the electorate." A system that better reflected voter preference "might even inspire more people to come out and vote.'. Waterloo and Cambridge turned down ranked ballot voting last fall. The Record's article is titled "Kitchener decides ranked voting system too involved".

No comments:

Post a Comment