This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

WELL I GUESS IT ISN"T INFLUENCE PEDDLING



Nevertheless it surely has an odour. Maybe the key is how the rules are written. Former Cabinet Ministers cannot take employment from a company with whom they've had "significant" dealings during the year before they left office. Now that is pretty darn loose. Today's Waterloo Region Record carrys this story titled "Appointment of Baird to Barrick job raises questions".

Both Maud Barlow of the Council of Canadians and Charlie Angus, the NDP ethics critic are not amused by this situation. They view this scenario of former senior Cabinet Ministers ending up in high paid corporate jobs as being ethical concerning. Mr. Angus refers to it as a revolving door between key industries and the cabinet. John Baird has been hired by Barrick Gold Corp. as an adviser plus he has been appointed to the Board of Directors of Canadian Pacific for a cool $235,000 annually. Nice work if you can get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment