This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

ONGOING CALLS TO REFORM THE OMB



The Ontario Municipal Board has long been a target of criticism in Ontario. Generally developers whether of homes & subdivisions or of gravel pits have been fans however. Normally a municipal council will ask for amendments to site plans etc. and if the developer feels they are too onerous or expensive they will appeal to the OMB. Similarily if a Council does not approve a gravel pit close to residential properties and or adds conditions, then gravel pit proponents have no problem going to the OMB who historically rarely turn down gravel pit applications. There have been changes to the OMB in the last few years however a more ambitious reset is underway.

The Waterloo Region Record carried a story on November 18/16, written by Martin Regg Cohn, titled "The OMB needs to be reined in", outlining all the reasons this reset is long overdue. Mr. Cohn has suggested that the OMB historically have coddled developers and that certainly is my impression as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment