This Blog will discuss politics, government, corruption, police, S.I.U., courts, education, min. of attorney general, min. of labour, v.o.i.c.e. and other current and past events of interest to concerned citizens. In the "About me" section to the right and down I have included the names of persons whom I have tremendous respect for. Their influence on me however has been primarily environmental (and personal) and this is therefore a disclaimer that all words posted on this Blog/Website are mine and I alone am responsible for them. I say this with the greatest respect and affection to my friends.

Monday, March 6, 2017

TRUSTEES VS. BOARD STAFF & PROVINCIAL EDUCATION MINISTRY



At first I thought I was in an alternate universe. This story was published in the Waterloo Region Record last Saturday and titled "Harassment and "toxic" environment found at B.C. school board". Allegedly the elected trustees of the Vancouver School Board were harassing and bullying the senior management team of the Board. At least an external investigation done by a single lawyer says so. Of interest to me is that the Minister of Education came in and fired all but one of the elected trustees. Wow that's bizarre and perhaps even worse than bizarre. Then the same minister publicly stated his great confidence in board staff and the one trustee he reappointed. Coincidentally or not the single trustee reappointed is a former school district superintendant in nearby Delta B.C.. Hmm I'm beginning to get a whim of something rotten here.

What seems to have brought things to a head is the issue of school closures. Apparently a number of publicly elected trustees were against so doing whereas the board staff and the province were in favour. The plot thickens. Why I find this bizarre is the gamesmanship and dirty dealings I've personally witnessed here in Waterloo Region. They were beyond compare and yes the trustees were somewhat strongly split. Many were former teachers and in my opinion co-opted in favour of board staff and the status quo. Others I would describe as reformers and far more unbiased in their belief that students not board staff, teachers and their unions came first. To me it appears that things came to a head and staff walked out. In normal businesses when staff walk out (especially non-union or mid contract) they all get fired, but school boards are not remotely normal. The addition of comments from another provincial agency namely WorkSafeBC simply add to the nonsense. Who the hell got them involved and why? Were the senior management team treated disrespectfully or worse by some trustees? I don't know for certain. What I do know is this whole things smells of a manufactured crisis for political purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment